The .NET is a development platform used for general purpose developed by Microsoft, for Microsoft Windows, Windows Server, Windows Phone, Microsoft Azure, and XML Web services. It consists of a large class library which enables language interoperability with many programming languages. This programming language is taught as part of the curriculum from Good engineering colleges in Karnataka. This class library is called Framework Class Library (FCL) and Common Language Runtime (CLR). Programs written with .NET are software programs. It has various features like automatic memory management and modern programming languages which attracts many .NET developers which makes building software applications easy and efficient. .NET is also known as .NET Framework which was initially released 15 year ago on 13th February 2002. Latest version of .NET was released on 17th October 2017. This follows a contemporary model of community developed software model. The CAT 2018 is available on the official website.
The Features of Framework Class Library are:
- Framework Class Library (FCL) includes a standard set of class libraries. These libraries when executed perform common functions like database interaction, graphics rendering, XML document manipulation, and various other functions.
- It consists of a collection of reusable types that are amalgamated with Common Language Runtime.
- It includes object-oriented class library which aims to perform varied common programming tasks like file access, data collection, database connectivity, and string management.
The Feature of Common Language Runtime are:
- This library manages memory, execution and verification of code, compilation and other services.
- It also implements the code access security.
- This also makes sure of the robustness of the code with a strict type and code verification called Common Type System.
- The CLR’s compiling type Just-in-time (JIT) manages code to run in the native machine language on which the program is being executed. The memory manager eliminates the possibilities disintegrated memory. This also increase the memory locality of reference which enhance the program’s performance.
- The Runtime of the program can be hosted by a server-side application like Microsoft SQL Server and Internet Information Services that are high-performance services.
The advantages of .NET for application development are decided upon the revenue profit and time taken are considered when analyzing Return on Investment. Here are the advantages of.NET:
- Less coding and Reusability: This .NET framework works with the object-oriented programming which removes the need for coding where it is not necessary and overall involves less coding for the .NET developers. The biggest advantage of .NET is the reusability. It has a lot of reusable code and components. In return, this saves time and costs to develop the applications.
- Deployment: .NET has features like the no-impact applications, private components, controlled code sharing, side-by-side versioning and partially trusted code, the .NET framework which makes the deployment of the program easy after development. The safe code execution reduces conflict in software deployment, versioning and minimized performance problems.
- Reliability: .NET is used to develop thousands of applications. It’s performance on server-side application like Microsoft® Windows Server™ 2003 and Windows 2000 Server which is very stable and reliable.
- Security: It offers advanced application security for web applications developed with ASP. It has Windows conformation and configuration. Managed code and CLR library offer safeguard features like code access security and role-based security.
It has many other advantages like service-oriented architecture and integration with legacy systems. With so many advantages, .NET is used for developing desktop applications web-based applications application for embedded systems and various other applications like Console Application development, Windows Presentation Foundation applications ASP.NET applications and many more.