This post will help you to install windows 7/vista by using a USB drive in just 20-25 minutes.Now a days most of the laptops, netbooks come without a DVD ROM drive.So the next best alternative is to create a bootable USB drive by using the following method.Just make sure you have a USB flash drive with at least 4GB of space.Here are the steps you should follow to Create Windows 7/Vista bootable USB Drive.
1. Plug-in your USB flash drive to USB port and format it.
2. Open Command Prompt with admin rights.You can do this by clicking on Start menu > All programs > Accessories, right
click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.
3. Now Type in the following commands in the command prompt:
- First type DISKPART and hit enter
- Then type LIST DISK command and note down the Disk number (ex: Disk 1) of your USB flash drive.
4. Now insert your Windows7/Vista DVD into the DVD drive and check the drive letter of the DVD drive. Here I will assume that your DVD drive letter is “D” and USB drive letter is “F” (You can open My Computer to confirm it).
5. Type the following command now to continue the process:
D: CD BOOT and hit enter.Where “D” is your DVD drive letter.
6. Now update the USB drive with BOOTMGR compatible code by typing the following command
BOOTSECT.EXE /NT60 F:
Where “F” is your USB drive letter.
7. Once you enter the above command the following message will be displayed
Copy your Windows 7/Vista DVD contents to the USB flash drive.
8.Now you have a bootable USB drive to install windows 7/vista from it.